Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Botox - sadly not in my lips or crows feet :P

Having some pre-op nebs before laryngeal botox surgery.
..

All went went. Home now. My throats a little sore and my swallow isn't quite right but this is normal and to be expected. I have this procedure done every 3 months to help my laryngospasm

4 comments:

  1. I have vcd and basically failed to be managed (keep on being told to do speech therapy over and over again) is your layngospasms caused by other problems firstly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky
      I was never offered speech therapy as I was told that was for VCD whereas laryngospasm is slightly different and can only be treated with Botox or surgery.
      I have brittle asthma which is aggravated by oesophageal reflux. The reflux passes my vocal cords (causing the spasm) and then enters my lungs, causing the brittle asthma.
      It tends to happen in my sleep and I wake up gasping.
      Are you in the US or UK or somewhere else? Hope you are doing well x x

      Delete
  2. I do live in the UK. I have BA as well as the reflux but got told it was pardoxyle vocal cord movement but this was 4 years ago and hasn't been really looked into since just frustrating me at the mo as some dr's dont seem to be able to tell the difference but off to see a new ENT in my local and hoping for abit more control

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell the difference between your VCD and your brittle asthma or VCD and Laryngospasm? I don't know whereabouts you live in the UK but I go to Charring Cross in London for my ENT. I was told I had Vocal Chord dysfunction like you have been at my local hospital but when I went to Charring Cross he knew it was Laryngospasm before he even looked. His name is Mr Sandhu and he is apparently the world leader in that area. I think the new NHS rules me that you can choose where you want to be referred to. It may be worth seeing him if you can arrange it?
    How does your Laryngospasm/VCD manifest itself? I was told the difference between the two was that with VCD you tend to feel the spasm and cough a bit but are still able to breathe through it. Whereas as in laryngospasm it is an almost compelete closure of the cords so more a sensation of choking and it can happen several times a day/night, characteristically at night.

    ReplyDelete